Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fooly Cooly-thon: Reactions to Episode 3

Here we are! The halfway point of the series (although I would be totally lost if I didn't have the episode numbers to guide me.

Episode 3 of FLCL incoming! Hold onto your hats because this one changes the game!

Oh, and the formal introduction to my favorite
character in the series,  Eri Ninamori
I know what will cheer you up from loosing the game, a good episode! Lets see how this one turned out!

Now let me get this said right off the bat, I loved this episode. It will likely be my favorite episode in the series. That is all


Also. Cat ears happen.

Recommended video mirrors
Sub         Dub


First off, this episode was quite different from the previous two.

Sure, there is a robot fight and yes, as long as there is Haruko, there will be shenanigans.

But I think the episode stands out from the other two in that it focuses on a specific relationship rather than the mystery behind the city or Medical Mechanica. (However, parts of the episode do give a little more insight to the city they all call home.)


The story introduces, and is mainly set around another wallflower from the previous episodes, Naota's childhood friend, class president and daughter to the mayor of the town, Eri Ninamori.

Now Eri is one hell of a rubix cube when it comes to her personality, but for good reasons I believe.


Here, how about some feels for a late lunch?

She keeps to herself most of the time, as made evident by the first two episodes and her overall serious and emotionless composure when around anyone that isn't Naota.

Dawh :3
Now, I think it is safe to say that she freaking adores Naota, even for his short comings as evidenced by her complete change in personality when she is around him and him alone (immediately changing when someone like Haruka enters the scene).

I am inclined to believe that this might just be because she and Naota were childhood friends since a long time ago, before Medical Mechanica built their factory in Endsville, and trusted him as such since then.

The town and the world have since changed a great deal and she is likely alienated by it.

Most of the episode points out some internal problems with her father's governmental policies and reporters are crawling out of the woodwork making scenes about the whole ordeal. And she has likely developed this lone wolf personality to shield herself from it.

But, as mentioned earlier, she practically transforms into a different person when she is around Naota because he is likely an escape tool for her and she likely loves him for that and more.

Eri also seems to work and act in
ways others would find
uncharacteristic when she
believes no one is watching her.
Likely another form of escapism.
... And a way to reach Naota =)
Yea, I love this character. While I would mention Naota's side to the relationship, that would warrant a whole 'nother character analysis. I will likely do an analysis of characters from this and other series I happen to enjoy to death so expect some in the future... somewhere.

Probably one of the other things I enjoyed about this episode was that it left very little to question at the very end. It started by introducing and concluding with the relationship between these two characters and explaining it's peculiarities (indirectly of course).


... But I really do hope that this
isn't the last we see of her D;

Although it did leave THIS in the minds of the audience before the episode ended...


BOOM! Hat trick! 

Yes, it seems that Naota's robots-coming-out-of-his-head-for-inexplicable-reasons disease is not just limited to him.

I am not entirely sure how this whole Medical Mechanica robot business is working out, but it might possibly be anyone either in contact with Naota, anyone that directly touches his horns/protrusions or it might just be something that every inhabitant of the town may or may not have.

I honestly don't really know what to think of this twist but it is keeping me invested so I am hardly complaining!

And of course, like all other episodes, a little hint is dropped as to hint at Haruko's motives and personality. 

As soon as the robot came out and she saw some specific symbol or weakness on the machine. She, without hesitation, went for it.

Sure, this is not uncommon given her compulsive personality, but there seemed to be something different about it this time. She had no regard for Naota's well being although he is... something to her. 

To note, she has always been on the scene as soon as something like this happens. I believe she is trying to find something by smashing all of these robots open. As to what that may be... We don't really know.

She has always come off as the manipulative character to me to use anyone to meet her own goals but we will just have to see if my suspicions as to what she thinks of Naota will come into fruition or not within the next half of the series.

Obby~

Overall, a very different but very enjoyable episode in my opinion. Seeing the lives that interweave and interact within this town of lies is a very nice thing to see. And I am getting a lot more material for my review and possibly an in-depth analysis on another occasion because I think this series actually warrants one.

Lies (or what I think should be better called un-truths in this series) seem to be an integral theme in this series... Keep that in mind because I know I will.

Till the next episode! I will see you then!


Is funny because is walking television set
Ehehehe

-AvatarHippo

No comments:

Post a Comment