Friday, February 1, 2013

Retrospective FLCL (Fooly Cooly)

Alright! So we have finally arrived to Main Post Friday! And I am going to kick these main posts with a special all-day Rewatch & Review of FLCL. Because I love this blog.

I'd probably like this image a lot more if Haruko's face
just wasn't so EEEEEEEEEWWWW in this one

I am going to do an episode reaction for each of the six episodes of the series and this will likely stretch out into the night because... well hell, I apparently take WAY too long writing these mediocre posts for the blog xD (Inside I really cry D; (not really :T))

So, trimming the fat off of these intro's lets get this started!


If I can ever say I have had seen a series based off of a bad idea from an even worse acid trip, it would probably be FLCL otherwise known as Fooly Cooly.

I watched this series during that archaic time period when we... actually had to go to the TV to watch the shows we liked. Yea, we all still shiver a bit inside remembering those dark ages. 

I could not, for the life of me, remember how old I was when I actually saw this show. BUT what I do remember was that I was at the age where we felt like badasses staying up all night on the weekends watching shows on Adult Swim.

Ah Adult Swim... You really did start my love for all things anime...

       [me]   x

Best shipping is best


Seriously though, those late nights created the sparks that built up into the raging love for anime and manga that I have today. Back then, I didn't know what anime was, I didn't even know the term existed. I just thought these were just any other show regularly broadcasted in the U.S.

Those familiar with this section on Cartoon Network all know the regular shows that came on. You know, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop (apparently), Bleach, Eureka 7, Inuyasha and FLCL.

We came to the station to break the rules but stayed for the awesome narratives told by these shows and way more. Oh and the occasional dirty joke from Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force... But moving on.

FLCL was one of the shows that came on that just gave me a very... weird impression. I mean, even for a kid, this show was WEIRD. Freaking space lady on a Vespa runs into a kid who has GIANT ROBOTS coming out of his head in this very strangely vague town.

Though the strangest thing about it was that... I just couldn't take my eyes off of it


I mean sure it was actioney but it was just unlike anything I had ever seen before. As a kid in his early teens in want of entertainment being exposed to stuff like this:






You know there has to be something behind the madness... The animation was different and the actual events... were just something that was totally out of this, or any, world for a kid being introduced to a whole world of anime.

On a rewatch of this series more recently, I think my adoration for the show grew just because of the nonsensical oddities of the events. And after an in-depth analysis of the whole shebang, I can conclude that I think I like this series more than I would have expected in the past.

Man AvatarHippo... You so cray...

So at the end of all this, why did I not really tell you much about the series? Well... it's because I really can't put into words how... strange it all is. This series really is something that has to be seen to be believed.

With it's commentary on growing up, becoming an adult, the anime and manga industry as a whole, it's insane  and sporadic art and animation style and all of the interstellar guns, lasers, mechas and impossible scenario making: this anime is just an experience in it's own league and I believe that everyone should at least have an opinion on this show.

Now, I say that this show is inexplicable... but I am going to have to do exactly that at the very end of today with my final word and review on the series. Hopefully, with another watch through of this series, I will be able to get a good and comprehensive review out of the series.

Till then... TO THE NUTHOUSE, AND BEYOND!

- AvatarHippo

No comments:

Post a Comment