Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fooly Cooly-thon: Reactions to Episode 6 [FINAL]


Into the very next day of Fooly Cooly-thon and here we are!




Without any other distraction, lets dig in!

This, the final episode of FLCL. Hold on to your seats, this one is one heck of a bumpy ride!

Wow. Well here I am finally and I honestly don't have words at the moment to describe what I saw. I will do my best but... just wow.

Unfortunately, I am noticing that these posts are getting slightly more serious with the progression of the story and sadly, there is little to joke about with this particular entry. So this will probably not be a very funny post, sorry guys =/



Recommended video mirrors
Sub         Dub

Alright, I am about ten minutes starting this post and I don't even really know where to begin...

     "The first few minutes are a good place to start."
                                                                    - Captain Obvious

Ok so this intro... on the TOTALLY opposite end of the spectrum from the last intro.

Seriously though, the first 6 minutes in this episode might actually be my favorite 5 minutes in the entire anime.

Not only does it have these two awesome songs that I will have to find later playing in the background while the action is going on but it just happens to summarize about everything that has lead to this moment (unsaid of course) and it recaps on where all of the characters are at physically, mentally and emotionally through anything from a whole dialogue through so little as an expression.


Seriously,  just look at this. Doesn't it just speak volumes?
Well... I guess in context it does... Moving on!

All in all, the intro immediately sets up the pins for what is going to be the craziest and best show the anime has to offer.


Now THAT is some fine exposition right there

Boy, I was glad to see that they got all the crazy out on the last episode. (Aside from like... one scene in this episode) It looks like they really got to put a lot of heart where it was best placed.

The elements of the characters are, at this point, fully developed and they all just sort of stretch their wings and fly to what is their destiny. It may not have been what many of them were expecting from the very beginning but all of it seems pretty positive despite the world almost ending.


Dawwwwh, I could never stay mad at you.
What an adorable little key to freeing
the harbinger of destruction
Who's a good boy?

And remember when I said that it would take the works of men and gods to explain what exactly is happening, well... it happened! I didn't think it was possible but every event that has happened in the story all comes together and makes. total. sense. (from a broad perspective, please I would be here all month pointing out every single nonsensical thing) 

The motives of Haruko are revealed in full, the goal of Medical Mechanica is known, the reason why the robots were coming from deep space into these people's heads is implied and, like always, the emotions and personalities were perfectly expressed to be interpreted by the audience.

And in the very end, some really big world-changing decisions were made. Not just necessarily for the physical world but for the lives of all the characters involved.

Naota was really still just a kid at heart no matter how much he wanted to grow up and this is demonstrated by his actions, choosing feelings over logic.

He made a few decisions that I really would not like to make myself but they all lead to an ending that REALLY strengthened the narrative as a whole.

I think I pinned it down. I always thought that Naota had a good relationship with his older brother and I think he still looked up to him a lot despite what his reputation had sort of done to him. But I think he found that same (sort of) relationship with Haruko.

Sure, I don't think he was into kissing his own brother nor do I speculate that he enjoyed his possible cock-teasing at every interval, but she really did say a lot of things to Naota that impacted him and was actually there for him when he did not think there was much else in "a town where nothing happens". 

Haruko took his brother's position on the bed,
she was there when he needed something to believe in
she taught him to find his inner strength,
to not hesitate and to aim for the stars.
Haruko took his brother's position in life when he wasn't there.

Despite what she ended up being in the end
I think she still may have done some good for Naota

The events leading up to the climax really did set that whole "Haruko inspired Naota" think I am trying to explain so much. I won't really go into detail about them but they really were very endearing

In some alternate reality, I really hope they were brother and sister.

It was just such a shame to see that my suspicions were really correct about Haruko. But... I really don't think all was for naught.

After the events of the story, life went on. The smoke from the city cleared and despite the fact that the town was still "a place where nothing happened", there was a world around it to explore.

I believe Haruko, with those final little moments before the climax, did end up showing Naota that there really was a lot more to the world than the relationships and circumstances he had and lived in within the town, there was a world filled with all new experiences of the unlimited variety.

The sun finally showed down on the town and it made Naota, and I believe the others, see that there was more to be had in their young lives and that they all were still just kids.




Wow, for an anime that gave such a bad impression on my as a child, I think it did squeeze something nice out of me and for that, I give it all the respect it deserves.

Gainax thank you for another awesome ride and the lessons to reflect on.

... Although I would have liked to see more of her.
Well with 6 episodes, what can you really do?
Apparently a whole freaking ton, that's what.

I will be back tomorrow with my total review on the whole shabang! (shebang? that sounds suggestive)

Until then, thank you for reading and supporting and I hope you have been enjoying reading and watching as much as I have posting!

-AvatarHippo

No comments:

Post a Comment