Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Elfen Lied: Dropped

It's official: I have dropped Elfen Lied. Why? It's not that I dislike gore or limbs being ripped off, but I dislike it when it's done unnecessarily. And trust me, it happens a lot in this anime. Every sentence if followed with a shriek then a limb being pulled off. The first episode is a brilliant example of this flaw. Literally, the only thing that was going through my mind was, "boobs...ow...ooohhh ripped off! Um, where's your shirt? Oh, another limb. Uhuh...ok I get it she hates limbs."
Other than the unnecessary decapitations and mutilations of limbs, I found the storyline a bit dull as well. Well, not dull persay, but...predictable. From the beginning you could tell that Kohta and his cousin (um...weird much?) would get together. That Nana would be saved by her "papa" and eventually find her way back to Nyuu. That Kohta and Nyuu/Lucy had some kind of past together (I won't say any spoilers for those of you who plan to continue watching it). It was just...boring.
I've dropped a few animes in my time, but usually after the first or second episode. This was a first for me, having watched up to episode 10 or 11. I even tried to go back and watch episode 12 today but couldn't bring myself into getting into it. It may also be the characters, each of which is pretty monochromic (yes, even Nyuu/Lucy). This had huge potential, but sadly it just didn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment